It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 8:29 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Jan 07, 2012 12:13 pm 

I like this 2009 claret, plenty of oak for me actually, and the fruit is darker and more weighty than cheapo claret. Yeah, it is much more than OK. The oak + cab + merlot mix is pretty young, so the aroma is undeveloped at the mo and exhibits that typical linseed oil putty niff and damson on 1st opening. There is balsa and cigarette box there, black plum and damson...... just needs time.
Andre' and Allain Martin who make the wine on a small 40 hectare property reckon that this '09 HM claret will keep for 10 years or so, they say so on the back label. But since it is starting from the savory side of fair to midlin when decanted in a wide top carafe all evening, I'd say to 2016/17, before it dries out a bit too much. You never quite know though.

Good effort, typical petite chateau stuff at a good offer price on a decent vintage. ( worth 24 euros a box in france :wink:) excl.the UK's tax on tax escalator. Decanter bronze

Rollin, rollin, rollin, keep them doggies movin - Rawhide.

Quite happy with this - could turn-out well.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:20 am 

Eight months later, and I take out another bottle from the box to see where this is going.

Yep. This is good claret. Still very fruity, and a little less dry than I remember, which is good, and indicative of harmony. The merlot in this mix is taking-on the classic mahogany drawer notes that are so appealing with well made claret (perhaps more Medoc than Haut Medoc). Everything in balance, good colour, natural ripeness, a little more vanilla from the discrete oak now appears. Yep, just right for me.

An absolute bargain, and brilliant value when bought on offer. You can trust Laithwaites when buying new release clarets, they know what petite chateau offers should taste like.

:)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 11:48 pm 

2 years & 4 months later . . . .

I'm amazed by these petite chateaux 2009 clarets. This one is at the top of its game now. I'm getting caramel on the nose, and on the finish, that is lasting as I write. Fruit has matured, a textbook lovely effect, acidity is in balance, wood is integrated and in harmony.
For the '09 PC Haut Medoc clarets, it does not get better than this.
When the Nines are gone :( I'm gonna be very sorry.

Drink the PC nines now till '16/'17 don't let them dry out.