It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 12:18 pm 

Hunter Valley. Sains & Maj, around £9.

I’m swimming against a tide of high praise but... I was underwhelmed by this wine. It’s quite intense, buttery and grainy, what you would expect from a heavily oaked white (I honestly thought it was but online research suggests otherwise) and the lemon is more rind than juice. There's a dry grassy element but not in a SB way, this was wheat and melon. It improved as the temperature in the glass rose, the acidity is sublime but lags behind the intensity of the fruit and the style in which it is made.

This will thrill some people, those that get excited over big whites and wines that stray from the path of varietal characteristics but it doesn’t have the freshness and wonderful lime acidity of the Tim Adams. It’s not a wine I would serve at a dinner party.

PostPosted: Mon May 02, 2011 7:13 pm 

What, where, who high praise?
Might need more time ???

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 8:55 am 

It is complex enough to age further but I found it hard work, cant see that area improving.

This wine has a bit of a cult following, has picked up a number of awards etc., google is your friend.

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 11:54 am 

hmmmmm.
Not sure what to do now then.... sold out at my local sainsburys but have seen it in one of my local Tescos
and noticed when peering through the window of my closed local indy on Sunday that they have it in their bin ends (price unknown but don't expect it to be a big bargain)

As GK says, this tends to receive pretty good reviews which is why I originally asked about it, having been enticed to look at Semillon after opening the Peter Lehmann 05 the other week

PostPosted: Tue May 03, 2011 12:53 pm 

Its a tough call, Im not saying its a bad wine its simply that I didnt enjoy it, you might like the style.

There's something missing in the finish, the acidity fades and the intensity 'fizzes' on the tongue, I thought it could be too much SO2 added to aid the extended bottle aging.

Ive had gallons of Lehmann Semillon over the years, luv the stuff, these two wines have little in common.

Try it, I could have had a dodgy bottle.

PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 11:30 am 

my Indy didn't have it on special, priced at £9.99 so I opted to give 6 bottles of Fermoy Estate Semillon 2007 a go reduced to £5.95

Had to pay tescos a visit a little later in the night and whilst there picked up a selection of 14 bottles, 2 of which were the Liz Sem (£9.19 there - but as they say, every little helps ;)) and got the last 2 PL sem 05 that were sitting on the shelf and hopefully in ok nick

most of the Finest range is currently on sale fyi guys, I gave the Denman sem a miss as it was 2010 vintage

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:15 am 

Some years on from this previous discussion
The MP Liz is currently on offer at tesco for £5.99

I've been drinking it over the past 2 nights and I'm a fan and will buy a few more in store (offer runs to October according to the label in the shelf)

Deep Golden straw in colour. Spritzy effervescence upon initial opening
Straight from fridge showing flavours of crisp apple, lime, wax & petrol notes
As it warms up a bit, honey becomes evident as it gains more character
Still in good shape for a 10yr old wine which is remarkable at this price bracket

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:45 pm 

Thanks Shezza, despite my initial findings I took delivery of another case last night. A lot can change in four years, particularly ones taste. I wanted to love this, so many did/do, perhaps my expectations were too high, or I was simply on an 'off wine' day. I plan to open a bottle this weekend and see how I get on.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:05 pm 

I opened a bottle of this over the weekend, it was the last bottle of my old stock, probably been in the rack for two years. The rich lime is still present, it's softer than I remember and I felt the wine was beginning to fade.

I cant comment on my recent purchase of six bottles but I would suggest its time to drink up.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:07 pm 

Another bottle opened last night.
It's been a while since I've had a bottle and this is really singing now.
Better served only slightly chilled just around or below cellar temp. When too cold it's a bit sharp and astringent.
At the right temp this is lovely: straw like colour, it's waxy and smokey with a nice citrus fruit note and a slight sherbet note. Lovely oily mouth feel and good length.
Kicking myself again for not clearing the shelves way back when. I'll have to savour the last few bottles I have and maybe settle for some TA Sem for future drinking.