It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: En Vacances
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 9:07 pm 

The inner workings of the website have noticed that my passport is out of the drawer and have decided to block my adding new special offers, so while I'm in Burgundy I'm afraid new offers for Sains, Tesco and Co-op will be locked here. Back on Sat.

Apols.

Post subject: Re: En Vacances
PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:07 pm 

Lucky you !

That's a trip I'd love to make!
Unfortunately its NY for me in the early hours tomorrow until red eye back on Monday

Enjoy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:20 pm 

I love NY.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:28 pm 

The Norovirus has taken up residence in the GK household.

My daughter accompanied the closing stages of the winter Olympics with her very own variant on the 5-yard-hurl at the weekend.

My wife, a great lover of historic romances, is currently downstairs getting up-close and personal with the Vomiting Cavalier (and a bucket).

I’m cowering in the loft with a laptop.

Help. :(

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2010 11:19 pm 

This page left bank deliberately

Last edited by Bacchus on Wed Mar 03, 2010 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:48 pm 

Bacchus wrote:
Sit! Stay! J'arrive. I can take you away from that...but you don't want it really...Most can't hack freedom of mind and body.
PS I'm on the 3rd. bottle.

Going out with a bang eh B? :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 2:56 pm 

meljones wrote:
so while I'm in Burgundy I'm afraid new offers for Sains, Tesco and Co-op will be locked here. Back on Sat.

En Vacance perhaps, Business expenses certainly 8) You have taken a video camera with you - haven't you ? You going to see the terraine at DRC ?

Enjoy Burgundy. How is the weather, typically cold but dry......any gale damage from last week ? Have you drunk a few beauties already - Well yes, must be your answer. Anything very special.

How is the 2009 Harvest in the minds of the growers who must be racking off, and barrelling at the moment. They loved 2009 growing conditions - didn't they. Fill your boots with burgundy - yeah :D Hope you drove there, fill your estate with burgundy - Yeah

So many questions. Won't ask more, this is a public place !

PostPosted: Wed Mar 03, 2010 4:12 pm 

GK wrote:

Going out with a bang eh B? :wink:

Had a bit too much reward after 3 hard but succesful days. Even typed Caerleon for Caernarfon. How's the up-chucking getting on ??

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:28 am 

B was wonderful. Bright blue skies, crisp, biting winds and fabulous wines, tasted blind. Where to start? Don't want to be a complete wine bore and need to sort out site issues, do washing and mow lawn for first time since August (you think I'm joking). We tasted everything you can imagine, several with meals, but very usefully a lot in groups of four and five. These were semi blind, ie all from same vintage, all from different quality levels, vertical, etc and I found it fascinating to polish my skills.

We also played the Options game. Briefly, everyone stands up and the leader (who knows what the wine is), says, for example "anyone who thinks this is Northern Hemisphere sit down/stand up (depending)" then "if you think it's Cote d'Or sit down", then maybe "if you think it's Grand Cru, Meursault, oak aged, new oak, such and such a vintage, etc". The last man standing is the winner. From time to time people who have just sat down are asked to stand up, which cuts out the cheats. Love it and become strangely competitive.

The last four we had yesterday (excluding the three on the train up to Paris) were four Cortons all from this decade (Ba would say last). I'd forgotten, or never known, how quickly red burg becomes frail and wonderful, with roasted meat and compost flavours.

It may surprise you to know that my greatest surprise was the beauty of the Chablis. I only ever come across supermarket Chablis here and some can be moderately interesting, but we had some absolute corkers. We were guests of Albert Bichot. Tasting notes still ringing in my ears. Will post if of interest, but don't want to bang on and on.

At 8.25 yesterday morning I started with 2009 Morey 1er Cru Les Sorbets, Echezeaux, Grands Echezeaux and Clos de Vougeot. Even at that time and that age, they were beautiful. More than could be said of Bordeaux, I think.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 12:16 pm 

It may surprise you to know that my greatest surprise was the beauty of the Chablis. I only ever come across supermarket Chablis here and some can be moderately interesting, but we had some absolute corkers. We were guests of Albert Bichot. Tasting notes still ringing in my ears. Will post if of interest, but don't want to bang on and on.

Albert Bichot

You will never bore me on these Mel. Never.

When I have had the money, and the vintage is worthy of the sacrifice for me, I have bought his 1er's. A few years back, I spoilt myself with 6 of the '05 Les Vaillons, and have just 2 left. Also on the '05, bought half a dozen of the ordinary Dom Long-Depaquit 2005 which was very very nice, just one left. I am saving for half a case of the 2009 1er.

You had a wonderful time that is for sure. Bright blue sky's - dry - heavy Great coats, wooley neck scarves & walking boots - open fires and wonderful Corton.

How did you find the '08 Chablis at ordinary and 1er level ? The supermarket offerings here have been dire, and I have said so. (I'm not a snob, but I do have taste buds).

When you've tried the beautiful one's the very cheap tat is worse than nothing at all, just don't. Anyone with an interest in these and not a big income, is strongly advised to get in the car, and then on to the Ferry, then drive. Fill your boots.

Even at that time and that age, they were beautiful. More than could be said of Bordeaux, I think.

Mel - We have arrived at the same conclusion.

I know, burgundy is better value now, than it has been for many years. I have looked at my old receipts (Lord knows - the rubbish performance of sterling and crazy quantative easing - just a fancy word for devaluation) is not helping at all. The good wines, unlike quality claret, are not yet being taken YET by the wealthy middle and far east countries. The vintages you were enjoying may have been easier ? But I think from dabbling myself, even for the '05's and '02's, they are more beautiful than the clarets at affordable level, and the growers are responding to the new market - Buy - Take home - Week-end - Dinner plans - Drink.

I'm very pleased though, that even when easier at the younger stage, they have not yet deteriorated from laying down. We shall see if that observation is true in the longer term.

At 8.25 yesterday morning I started with 2009 Morey 1er Cru Les Sorbets, Echezeaux, Grands Echezeaux and Clos de Vougeot. Even at that time and that age, they were beautiful. More than could be said of Bordeaux, I think.

2009 ! - Extraordinary, who would have thought. Morey St. Denis can be a tough bugger.....amazing. Never had a chance, nor have I bought Grands Echezeaux - Have no idea about the flavour of those. There must be many very happy growers as we start 2010 in Cote d'Or, and the economy in France is normal, according to friends who live a little further north.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:33 pm 

Ref 2009s at 8.25, don't get me wrong, they were NOWHERE NEAR ready, but not the tannic nightmare of early Medoc tank samples.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 9:43 pm 

meljones wrote:
Ref 2009s at 8.25, don't get me wrong, they were NOWHERE NEAR ready, but not the tannic nightmare of early Medoc tank samples.

I knew what you meant Mel.

Slip stuff in here and there about the visit to Albert Bichot, then it won't appear to be over egging it for some folks :wink:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 06, 2010 10:24 pm 

This page intentionally left bank.

Last edited by Bacchus on Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 12:51 am 

Ba? What?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 07, 2010 4:47 pm 

It was 'sposed to be an enraged goose. Flown back to Canada now.