It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 10:16 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A Tale of Two Stickies
PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:23 pm 

I opened these last weekend when we had family around and forgot about them so am returning to them a week later.

Both bottles were picked last week from the same vintage, with the aim of trying a new world and great QPR wine vs an old world classic that's more pricier to see when tasted blind to see what the preferred choice from family members would be.

I've always been a big advocate of the TF Dessert Semillon. IMHO this is the best pound for pound dessert wine available anywhere and I often make a point of picking up bottles during 25% offers to get this for £4.50 a half.
Made by DeBortoli who make Nobel One which is one of the most renowned Australian dessert wines and sells at 3x the price although have tried them together is certainly not 3x better by any stretch.

I just love the racy acidity in this wine that totally offsets the initial sweetness.
There's dried apricot fruit flavours and a hint of waxiness.
Despite being 8 years old and having been open for a week this is still fresh and will go on for a years.
An utter bargain and highly recommendedx

Current release is 2013 which I've previously tried and enjoyed but some stores do occasionally have older vintages in where it's not always such a popular pick for weekly shoppers.

I love Tokaji.
I think my first experience was tasted at a Tesco wine fair about 4 years back and I've been a big fan ever since.

Interesting fact: Royal Tokaji was inspired and founded by Hugh Johnson in 1990.

This wine is deeper & richer than the semillon, with notes of honey and even a christmassy note of mincepie. The acidity isn't quite as upfront as the semillon either but evolves through the palate to make its presence know on the finish.
Delicious.

Both wines are really good and each time I try one or the other I think this is the better one so it's a very close call.
The tokaji just edges it for me but I'd be more than happy to be served the TF wine on any occasion.