It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 9:04 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:28 pm 

Laithwaites January clearance, more than 40% off, This 2008 Terra Andina Altos Cabernet Franc - Merlot, Central Valley, Chile

I'm glad that Joe Bloggs don't get, don't know cab franc.

Good wine, now mature, and the cab franc makes a very welcome statement.

This is what IWSC said of the 2007 vintage: Best in class, Silver, Decanter Bronze.
Appealing crimson red/purple colour. Clear red fruit notes, redcurrant and raspberry with some blackberry and spice elements. Good weight in the mouth, with pleasing acidity and gentle tannins. It is all about elegance rather than weight. A lovely gentle wine, ready to drink now with great pleasure.

Better later . . . . . plus pleasing acidity :)

Saves me from typing it out. Actually, I think the extra time in bottle has done the CF a massive favour. On 1st opening, a touch of new world wine gum on that ripe cab franc, which does wear off in the glass - with oxidation. French and American oak, a touch of Cab franc mahogany drawer and cigar box is present, not a green stalk CF note that lovers of the Loire style crave, yet there is an engaging & heady nose, my Misses said Wow, sadly red wines give her a severe headache.

Pretty good structure, mellowed tannins, not perceived as hot, but now mature and on offer, it is for me, a good find.
The other bottles I bought, I shall lay down for a while longer.