It is currently Sat Sep 21, 2024 6:30 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:52 pm 

Such class, such elegance.

Lightly golden, gently acidic wine with strong Sancerre like chalk and acorn upon opening. If I was in a top restaurent and told by the sommelier that this was a top class unoaked Sancerre/Pouilly Fume I would not have argued. However, as it warmed, flint and apples took over and it became more obviously Chablis. Never overpowering though. Elegant and lovely.

:qofgold:

PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:58 pm 

2010, the perfect vintage season conditions for 1er, and Brocard is a capable producer. Well done Co-op, £12.99 is good value for a lovely wine.

G, If you ever see this , must be 2010 vintage:
Simonnet-Febvre "Montmains" Premier Cru '10, you can go a step higher, more sublime, for another £3 or thereabouts.
Cheers for now

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 10:11 am 

Second bottle was less well developed and could have been an ordinary supermarket jobby at £5 less. Possibly a hint of cork taint.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:26 pm 

I'm sorry about that Goose. I've been there as well

These 2010 are more fragile than you think. The Chablis vintage is a 10 out of ten Mr G. But the unoaked ones can acquire a tiny drop of older Hay in the flavour, which can become more intrusive, and then turn on you, by masking the minerality, and - You won't like that - it is not cork taint, but that is the kind of "mini off flavour" that you have detected.
Having noticed this coming May /june and getting stronger, I don't mind it at the mo, I have moved all my Chablis to the wine cooler as a preservative measure. This is not happening yet at "Montmains" level with Simonnet-Febvre as the producer - BUT

Youy need to displace your beer and coca cola from the cooler - MR G :wink:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:23 pm 

I found only 3 of these despite valiant efforts, but they came in at £7. I concur with the Welsh Wizard except that mine were tother way around.
The first was OK...nothing more. This one tonight is a gem. Lemon, nuts, great acidity, lovely colour, nice legs. I also agree with the temperature comments, it's two different wines at 8c and 11c. Only one left...drat.

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 9:02 pm 

...and then there were none.
Very nice indeed, still temperature touchy but I can handle that. Why Oh why were there not more of these in the stores ? Bah !

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 9:00 pm 

Bacchus wrote:
...and then there were none.
Why Oh why were there not more of these in the stores ? Bah !

Glad you loved it :D

Folks in the Bristol area know Chablis, and at £12.99 still a bargain.

Shez & I bought for £9 per bottle, the wine was £14.99 in this part of the world. Domaine Brocard with the bright gold and grey Coat of Arms for Dom Brocard on a white background. A very good chablis on a super vintage. I wonder if Goose experienced a "hot store" bottle. Mine are as fresh as a daisy (in the cooler)

The Tesco 2010 1ers on the Cyrill Gross signature at the union of producers are holding very very well too, a creamy lees and honeyed finish on that one. A brilliant vintage. I'm spinning mine out, rations are one bottle every 6 weeks of the three styles of 2010 premier cru I have in stock.

After which, there will be none at the original buying price . . . . . . .or at the original retail price !

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 7:52 pm 

I have just bought 4 @ £9 exact. All 2010.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:31 pm 

Nice find Mr G. very nice indeed. I hope you bought all of them. Brilliant vintage

That also signals the start of . . . . . . Our scouts are out now.

Presumably you know the store, . . . . . and they have just appeared from central warehouse storage. Here's hoping.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:52 pm 

Astonishingly different to the first bottle but just as lovely !

Golden ,low acid, no fruit, pure flint on both the nose and palate. Vaguely similar I suppose to the flint/cabbage water of a Pouilly Fume but this is a gorgeous wine. Surprisingly light bodied but with a dense flavour.

Bought all 4. Will drink sooner rather than later in case they fall over.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:15 am 

Excellent news. As you say, do not hold. However . . . . .
Interesting to know what next day supping is like ? After a night in the fridge, oxygenated, but in the cool.

Cheers

NB.
During Christmas I kept half a 2010, Jean Moureau & fils version overnight, un oaked, an athletic mineral slim built style, perhaps more acidity on this one, and the wine did not suffer. Good luck.
Keep the other 3 in the fridge :)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:48 am 

Here we go again...bet there's none around these parts. Still, no harm in trying 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2015 12:22 pm 

I missed day two but day three it had a vague hint of petrol mixed in with the Chablis flint. Is this a sign of deterioration, MrD ?

It's nothing like as obvious as on an Aussie Riesling but it is there. Also the acidity was perfect on day one but had become a bit oily on day three making the wine seem fuller bodied and more alcoholic.

Still drinkable but not as enjoyable. I will definitely drink the other three before Spring and share them. A glass each between four straight after opening and it will still impress.

Will not buy more though.